And I blame squash.
In all their baby brilliance, Gerber thinks it is still appropriate to put some of their food in glass jars. Why the environmentalists haven't crawled all up in their business about this is beyond me. Stage 1 and 2 foods come in plastic, but for some odd reason Stage 3 foods come in the old school glass jars.
Ryder goes through 6 containers of food a day, and storage is an issue in my kitchen. On the weekend when I get to a real store, I usually stock up on the stuff and pile it up on the dining room table because, let's be honest, we only eat holiday meals at that table. That table is for looks only. Its sole purpose is to be pretty.
So Saturday I bought a bunch of glass jars of veggies and left them in the Wal-Mart sack and set it on the dining room table. Sure I should have dealt with it before today, but I didn't. This is America, and I don't take responsibility for my actions.
Today I went to transfer some of those jars into the kitchen cupboard, and when I tried to lift the sack, I was met with resistance. Sure I am a little older now, but a plastic sack with 10 jars shouldn't give me that much trouble. I tugged a little more. It still didn't budge. Upon closer examination, there was a sticky, orangish substance all over the inside of my sack.And the bottom of the sack. And the top of the table. Hmmmm. I thought. This cannot be good.
So I started cleaning, very carefully after discovering a broken jar and glass everywhere in the orangish goop. The best I can tell the squash jar cracked, the squash leaked out of the jar and out of the bag and onto the wooden table. Of course the bag sat right above the crack in the table where the leaf goes, so the squash slide down inside said crack and permeated the wood, causing it to swell.
The table whose sole purpose is to be pretty now has a ginormous pimple. I left the table open hoping it would dry and return to its former glory, but I don't think that is going to happen. Dammit.


Ugh! Sounds like you need a crocheted doily and a center piece. ;)
ReplyDeleteOn the brighter side...it didn't get on any of your chairs that are covered with white fabric....
ReplyDeletedoesn't help, does it??
Sorry!
Crystie
OMG!!!! That table was beautiful. I remember after getting an oak round table for the kitchen .. beautiful. About 2 weeks later Kathryn sat a pan directly from the stove to the table. When cleaning up after supper they couldn't get the pan off. Needless to say there was a terrible burn, all of this happened while I was at work. We had the table resurfaced but the burn mark never faded.
ReplyDeleteLife does go on.