How. Is. That. Possible.
I remember when mom went to her 20 year high school reunion. She was OLD. I'm not old. How could I have possibly been out of high school for 20 years? Where has the time gone? I remember old people saying that when I was young. I'm not old.
I remember older kids writing that on the back of the pictures we exchange in high school "make the most of your senior year because it goes by so quickly". Because 18 year olds have so much more life experience than 17 year olds. I don't remember my senior year going by quickly - I remember wanting to get on with things and it taking forever. Come to think of it, I don't remember a lot about my senior year period. I did drink a lot of beer back then, so maybe that was the reason. Don't tell mom.
When we were back in Minot in July we drove past my high school. It looked pretty much the same as it did in 1992. I don't remember many of my classes except maybe the time we made our French teacher cry and he never came back. Ever. I remember really liking humanities and really disliking math. I'm sure I took other subjects but I honestly have no memory of them. High school is really important Ryder. Pay attention when the time comes.
We had an open campus, and we had an off hour when I guess we were supposed to study but no one ever did. Mostly people payed cards in the commons area or went off campus to get food. A friend and I went to McDonald's almost every day of our senior year for lunch. When I die of high cholesterol, we will be able to trace the origins directly back to the fries in Minot.
I had some great friends that year. Renae Bye, Becky Sundberg, Tasha Hanson, Traci Knollenberg, April Moe. I have great memories of time spent with all of them that year. I guess friends are really what your senior year is all about - the fun you have, the experiences you share, the trouble you get into. Thank goodness for Facebook that I am able to keep in touch with all of them still. I also had a pretty serious boyfriend who in the end broke my heart. First love and first heartbreak is probably also all a part of the drama that should be a senior year. Ah Jarhead.
Most of my memories of my senior year have nothing to do with school at all. They are memories of cruising Broadway, walking around the mall, driving around back country roads and sitting around bonfires talking about what we thought was life. We didn't know anything, but you could have never convinced us of that.
I wouldn't go back. High school was good, I had a fine time and I must have received an adequate education as I managed to get into college but I would not classify those as the best years of my life. College? Now there was a reason I stayed in college for 7years ... When 2016 AND 2019 roll around and my 20 year college reunions come due, you can bet the content for that blog won't be anything mama or Ryder can read!
I am unable to attend my high school reunion as it is in North Dakota and I am Oklahoma. I would like to see everyone, but thanks to technology I will be able to look at photos and read about the events of the weekend. Do us proud Minot High, party like it is 1992!
Senior picture, and the one that went in the yearbook. On a good day, I can still get my hair that big.
Diploma in hand, proof it really happened
With mom - hard to believe they could get both of our hair in the picture
With dad, who ironically looks pretty much the same 20 years later
With Grandpa Lyle and Grandma Carol.
Apparently my bad hygiene goes way back to 1992. I was issued a pig nose on my graduation for not shaving my arm pits ...






No comments:
Post a Comment