Baby class #2 was not worthy of a post. I could get on my high horse about teaching techniques and why it was a waste of time and sleep, but it ended with an ice cream treat on the trip home so it was not a complete bust.
This week I found class to be much more enjoyable.
I fear we are the SOTA's I used to hate when I was a student and love when I was a teacher. We talk in class - a lot. We answer the teachers questions and give examples and feedback when asked (and often without being asked). And we sit in the front row. Mostly because Trent doesn't take his bifocals. In before-class discussion this week, we found that our besties were 3 years old when Trent graduated from high school. Yep, we are defiantly the oddities.
Class started with the mandatory video of some insane woman going through labor without any drugs. I go to my happy place during these videos - my eyes get glassy and I practice my relaxation techniques. I'm not interested in seeing or hearing what she is going thru. With this attitude, I have no doubt that my epidural will wear off before I have the baby or there will be some reason God will punish me with anything less than total numbness from the waist down. Such is life.
We then divided into two smaller groups. First we got to take a tour of the Women's Center and the rooms at the hospital. This was neat. I saw the room when Holley was in this same hospital after having McCray, but I certainly didn't pay any attention to the details. The teacher showed us things like where to put our bags, how to control the lights and temperature, and how to maneuver the bed. Something about being in the room and seeing and touching scary hospital stuff made it seem less like scary hospital stuff.
Next, we met with a Doula. I didn't even know what a Doula was before class, but they seem kind of helpful - like a husband who actually knows what to do and how to do it in the delivery room. I am completely prepared for the fact that Trent will pass out sometime during the process. I am not sure that is going to be helpful. The Doula gave us some techniques for breathing through contractions and labor positions that may help the labor experience last less than 24 hours. Now THIS is the kind of information worth staying up till 10 pm for.
And I got ice cream on the way home again.
No comments:
Post a Comment