Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Therapy

I drug Trent out shopping on Saturday. I go shopping most every Saturday, and usually Trent works with his dad around the farm or building fence for other people to earn some money to support my shopping. I never spend much - usually just the weekly trip to Wal-Mart for necessities and a stop at the mall for something a little more fun for me. When I know big money is going to be spent, I take Trent. He is actually much better at dropping some dough than I am.

Because of the dishwasher situation documented here, and the fact that I do not travel in a covered wagon, I knew I would need his help on this particular outing. Plus I needed his pick-up for transportation and driving that beast in the city makes me a nervous wreck.

There is a distinct difference between what women consider "shopping" and what men do. In my mind, we would go to at least 3 stores to look at different models and features to ensure we got the best deal on said dishwasher. Trent had a different agenda. Of course lunch was scheduled after dishwasher shopping, so I am certain that played a role in the speed at which we arrived at a decision. Our first and only stop was at Home Depot where we picked out, paid for, and loaded a new dishwasher in less than 37 seconds.

Then comes the fun part of installing the dishwasher. I believe any couple thinking of marrying or engaging in any activity that could lead the two to share parenting responsibilities for the rest of their lives should be required to install a dishwasher before a first date and certainly before any clothes are removed. The heck with counseling or therapy, how a person treats his 'assisstant' during home improvement projects is much more telling.

There was a littling bossing, a lot of gophering, and a few eye rolls when his assistant didn't know the wrench size one larger than 9/16, but all in all the project went off without a hitch. The dishwasher turns on, and there isn't a puddle on the floor when it starts the wash cycle. More importantly, we were still speaking to each other at the end of the day. I consider that a great success. Guess we can move forward with this baby thing after all.

The delivery people arrive today with the rest of our purchases from the day, I thought it best not to push my luck with furniture rearranging too.

No comments:

Post a Comment