About 11 last night we were sitting in the living room watching the news. The baby had just gone down, and we had to stay awake to watch the highlights of the OSU game we just watched in its entirety. Trent was sitting on the couch, I was sitting in the recliner.
Trent muted the TV, said he thought he heard thunder. Things started moving. It wasn't like it was shaking, it was like it was moving back and forth. And by "it" I mean the house. We just looked at each other. It kept shaking. Trent said he thought an airplane hit the house. The light fixture in the entry way was swaying, and the stained glass snowflakes in the living room windows were banging against the wall. We both just sat there. About 30 seconds later it stopped. Things stopped moving, the noise stopped.
Now living in Oklahoma you expect a lot of things, but an earthquake isn't one of them. I was home alone about 6 months ago when there was a little one. I just thought something in the attic fell down, I wouldn't have known it was an earthquake if it wasn't for the news. With this one, you knew just what it was. But I guess we were both too dumbfounded to do anything about it. Neither of us got up to check on the baby until it was over. Nice parenting. He slept through it.
The earthquake was originally reported to be a 5.2 and later upgraded to a 5.6 - the biggest one in Oklahoma history. The epicenter was in Prague, a little town about 80 miles northeast of here. According to the news, there was some damage in that area. We didn't have any damage, but it sure was freaky.
The hottest summer in history and now the biggest earthquake ... welcome to Oklahoma, Ryder!
No comments:
Post a Comment