Fall 2013

Fall 2013

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tidbits

The last couple weeks have gotten away from me, and I haven't posted as much as I would have liked too. With that said, here are some random facts/thoughts from the first few weeks ...

Ryder had his first doctor's appointment on the 7th and he was down from his birth weight of 6 pounds, 14 ounces to 6 pounds, 1 ounce. They said losing weight was normal, but since it was more than 10% they were mildly concerned. They had us come back on the 9th and he was up to 6 pounds, 6 ounces. We went back on the 15th and he was at 6 pounds, 9 ounces. They say he should gain 1/2 an ounce a day, so we are headed back in the right direction. To aid in the process, they have me feeding him every 2-3 hours. If I were a milk cow at the County Fair, I would be guaranteed a blue ribbon.

I had my 2 week post op appointment on the 17th and am recovering well. My incision is healing nicely and I don't go back for another 4 weeks. I purposefully didn't look at the scale when she weighed me but I was able to wear normal prepregnancy jeans to the appointment. Granted these are not my hottest bar jeans, but they have an actual button closure and I was able to sit down in them. We are calling this a victory.

Mom was here for a week an a half and she was a god send. My #1 piece of advice for anyone with a new baby is to have help those first few nights home. We were alone the first night, and by morning I am not sure who was crying louder, me or Ryder. Once mom got here Monday, she spent endless hours rocking, holding and generally spoiling her grandson as any good grandma should do. In addition she cleaned the entire house, did countless loads of laundry, and cooked us excellent dinners. I offered her a full time nanny position, but the 100+ degree days during her visit dissuaded her. I so wish she lived closer.

We have had many other visitors, and Trent's mom has been over many times to help out. Yesterday she watched Ryder long enough for me to go get a much needed pedicure. Wouldn't you know that during the 1 hour away from him in the last 18 days, his umbilical cord finally fell off. Now I am not comparing this to missing his first words or his first steps, but what are the chances? Regardless I was glad to see it go. And Ryder is an outie.

Most of the rest of our time is concerned with obsession like interest in poopy diapers (how long since the last one? what color was it? how much was there?) and either trying to get Ryder to sleep or trying to get him to wake up long enough to eat. He is not a good burper, and he likes to bathe about as much as his mama does. 

Trent has been off since mom left last Wednesday, and he will continue to be home with me until next Tuesday when I will be on my own for the rest of maternity leave. Even though I have been known to burst into tears at anytime with the overwhelming feeling that I have no idea what I am doing, they tell me this is normal hormonal stuff and I am feeling better about being a mommy everyday. Ryder, Trent and I are learning together, and I am so thankful he is a good baby and being patient with his old, sleep deprived, clueless parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment